Final Spot in the ECWA Super 8 goes to a familiar face
Few things in independent wrestling are more storied or important than the annual East Coast Wrestling Association Super 8 Tournament. The eight tournament is single elimination and is in year 18 of showcasing the top young stars in today’s independent scene. A list of past participants reads like a who’s who of notable wrestling stars such as WWE’s Daniel Bryan, Christian, the Hardy Boys, Xavier Woods, Austin Aries, and Christopher Daniels. Over the years thousands of fans have came to witness the next phase of history and who will become the next breakout performer. This year is no different than any other year… the field of eight are being planned… and the first 2 entrants have been announced. We also will have a special guest host this year… last year’s Super 8 winner Damian Dragon who has since retired from the wrestling business.
The tournaments unique hard hitting fast paced style lead to the creation of Ring of Honor and has also lead to dozens of copy cat tournaments looking to bottle up the lightning that was created back in 1997. But there is only one original tournament that showcases wrestlers that are upcoming and the next break out star who could be on a television screen near you very soon. To this day, to get an invitation is considered a high honor and a signification of pure talent.
On Saturday April 5, 2014 at the Greater Newark Boys & Girls Club in Newark, Delaware the fans will witness the greatest happening in indy professional wrestling! Here’s a look at the man selected to be in the eighth and final spot in the 2014 ECWA Super 8 Tournament after he won an Over the Top Rope Battle Royale on Saturday March 1, 2014 at ECWA’s event ‘Spring Battle III’:
‘Vietnam Phenom’ Matt Saigon
Saigon is quite possibly the most popular member of the Super 8 field this year even with his attitude change over the last year or so. He looks to use his impressive power to ground his much faster and high fleering counterparts. Formerly a 3 time ECWA tag team champion with friend and mentor (also last year’s Super 8 champion) Damian Dragon as Fusion DS, Saigon learned a great deal what it takes to be a champion whether they were cheered or booed. Not just an ECWA exclusive, Matt Saigon also has wrestled for places like Force One, TWA, World Extreme Wrestling, Fighting Spirit Wrestling, and most notably at Ring of Honor. Saigon’s a hard hitting, hard kicking powerhouse that can fly around the ring with the best of them. He excels at technical wrestling as well and has no problem weakening his opponents limb by limb. However, his short temper and overzealous nature have cost him many times before and one has to think if it will short circuit his run to the Super 8 trophy this year. In front of the ECWA faithful and his friend Damian Dragon, who is this year’s host, can the ‘Vietnam Phenom’ put his anger aside and destroy his way all the way to history? We’ll have to wait and see but one things for certain… he brings no shortage of his trademark intensity and we’re in for a quite a show from this man.
Matt Saigon looks to power his way to victory in the ECWA arena come April 5! If you’re a fan of independent wrestling you won’t want to miss this amazing night. Don’t miss independent wrestling history in the making!
So Saturday April 5, 2014.… it’s year 18 of the annual ECWA Super 8 Tournament. The field is chosen…. The competitors are ready to chase down their destiny…. And indy fans will be in for a show unlike any other in the world today. Come see why this amazing tournament is so highly regarded and why ECWA has produced more well known stars of wrestling than ANY OTHER PLACE ON THE PLANET!
ECWA Spring Battle III Results 3-1-14
1. Ricky Martinez defeats Papadon via a Back Stabber- This match had huge implications for both men. Martinez going into the Super 8 Tournament and Papadon regaining his footing in his hunt for another title run. Things started off badly when Martinez attacked Papadon as the show began with a chair to the back. As things got underway, Martinez had the clear advantage weakening Papadon’s injured back with bear hugs and suplexes. Taking his time to slowly weaken the ‘Greek God’ was smart. Papadon could never mount much offense as he tried time and time again to use his power game but to no avail. Even his deadly ‘Wrath of God’ piledriver couldn’t be used as he hunched over in pain. The end would come as Martinez took advantage of a distracted referee to hit a low blow and then a devastating back stabber for the victory.
*ECWA heavyweight champion Kekoa comes out and announces he has a torn ACL and had surgery just a few days prior. Barring this, he has to vacate the ECWA title. A Fatal Four Way will take place in June to determine a new champion. The participants to be decided by a series of matches throughout the night. First entrant? Ricky Martinez after his victory over Papadon.
2. Team CK defeats Azrieal & Rob Vegas via Super Kick-Powerslam combo- This match was personal. Team CK has been on one heck of a tear since debuting in the ECWA attacking almost anyone who crosses their path. Last month, they attacked Az and Vegas as they left the arena. Leading to this match, Az and Vegas went on the offensive using a variety of high flying kicks and tag team moves to try to keep the smaller Sean Carr of Team CK away from the powerhouse Kage. It worked for awhile and the veteran Azrieal was especially vicious with his trademark stomps and slams. The younger Vegas would become a bit overzealous and try to take things in his own hands which played into Team CK’s hands. Carr would tag in his partner and all hell broke loose! All 4 men went at it back and forth, blow for blow. But in the end Team CK’s resourcefulness came into play. Carr would hit his super kick on Rob Vegas into the powerful running Powerslam by Kage for the pin fall.
3. Bobby Shields defeats Little Mikey via the Body Bomb- Shields is hot off the presses of winning his Golden Opportunity contract just last month and of course the cocky Little Mikey wanted to ruin the party. The match started typical with neither man gaining much ground. Mikey takes the advantage with his cowardice. By running from Shields it caused him to lose focus and Mikey was smart to take advantage. Posing all the way, Mikey would hit various power moves such as suplexes and slams to weaken Shields. But wrestling ‘True Talent’ would not be denied… feeding off the energy of the crowd he stormed back! A flurry of punches and kicks stunned Mikey as Bobby Shields would try to finish him off quickly. And so he did, after some resistance, Shields would hit the Body Bomb for the 1..2..3.
4. Heavyweight Championship Determiner(whoever gets the pin gets in the match)- Breaker Morant & Apollyon defeat Matt Saigon & Bolo Yung via Cutter Driver- What a brutal match. The mysterious Bolo Yung would start things off using his painful chops and kicks to immediately deflate Breaker Morant. Yung looked extra vicious all the way through using martial arts to stun the stronger Morant. Tagging quickly in and out, Saigon would also seemingly lose it and just brutalize his former friend. It seemed Breaker just couldn’t gain a footing. Willing his partner to fight back and with the support of the crowd, Apollyon entered the match with pain on his mind! Hitting 2 stunning spinning heel kicks and clotheslines, the monster of a man looked to be able to handle both men easily. Tagging back in, Breaker wanted to get him some and so he did. All 4 men back and forth with Yung getting knocked out of the ring. Apollyon chasing. Distracted by this, Saigon didn’t notice Morant lying in wait behind him as Breaker Morant hit’s his cutter driver for the pin fall win and a spot in the Heavyweight Title match in June.
5. Mark Harro defeats Chris Wylde via DQ after Wylde attacks him with a chain- In what many called the match of the night and early favorite for match of the year Mark Harro and Chris Wylde fought… or should I say went to war! A flurry of fast paced offense by both men shocked and awed the crowd into a frenzy! Harro with a t-bone suplex and running knees and Wylde hitting a cannonball and flying clotheslines. It looked to spill all over the arena and both men laid their bodies on the line. Wylde hit one of the most impressive moves ever in ECWA history by landing a DEVASTATING diving through the ropes tornado DDT onto Harro on the floor! The crowd erupted! But the ‘Dragonfly’ wasn’t done yet as he unleashed his own impressive running shooting star press for a near fall. That caused him to get very frustrated and go for the chain he brought to the ring to hit Wylde. He missed and Wylde would return the favor and get DQ-ed. Harro had to restrained by security and I doubt we’ve seen the last of these men’s beef with each other.
6. Renee Michelle & Phil Sly w/Sly’s lawyer defeat Jessie Kaye & John Finegan via a briefcase shot to the head- This match was really a big question mark for fans and the people involved. Michelle and Kaye started it off going back and forth with their hatred seeping through. Kaye had the early advantage pumping up the crowd with her slams and clotheslines. But Michelle is no pushover, fighting back with forearms to the face and a little hair pulling along the way. Went things went bad enter Phil Sly and then John Finegan who put on an impressive display of wrestling moves with Finegan hitting a dropkick and deep arm drags to stun the fans and Sly. Closing in on victory, Finegan seemed ready to take his team to the top but the wily Michelle would distract the ref long enough for Sly’s lawyer to slip him his briefcase which he would use to hit Finegan in the head with and gain the victory.
7. Meisure Ooh La La vs. Napalm Bomb would turn into Napalm Bomb vs. Matt Saigon after Saigon attacks Ooh La La from behind. Napalm Bomb w/ Joel Blackhart defeats Matt Saigon via a roll-up to gain the next spot in the Heavyweight title match in June- Obviously, Saigon was a man on a mission after first losing last month’s chance for the Golden Opportunity Series and then the earlier tag team match against Breaker Morant & Apollyon. But Napalm Bomb was also on a mission and it didn’t include losing. Saigon was injured still from earlier in the night and the Bomb took easy advantage. Saigon would get in a flurry of offensive kicks with so much intensity. Weathering the storm, Napalm Bomb waited for his chance to steal one and he did with a roll-up pin that once again stunned Saigon.
8. D-Line defeats Legion of Destruction( Ahtu & Solo) w/ Joel Blackhart via the football spear- This match was exactly as advertised. Two teams with power who hated each other. The LOD would try to power it’s way to victory quickly as Ahtu went on the attack downing Black Ice of D-line. Solo would continue the assault but the tag champions wouldn’t go quietly. Tagging in his partner, the 6’7 Body snatcher matched power for power with the LOD, clearing the ring with splashes and clotheslines. And it all came undone for the LOD once again! Trying to fight back, Ahtu would go after both men… which was the mistake the tag champs needed as he was quickly thrown from the ring. Getting to his feet, Solo turns to get hit with the big football tackle spear for the 1..2…3
9. EXTREME RISING HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE MATCH: Luke Hawx defeats Stevie Richards to become the NEW Extreme Rising champion via a blockbuster off the top rope- In a stunning development the day before, indy promotion Extreme Rising’s show was cancelled. So they decided to work together with ECWA and give fans of both companies a show! The obvious respect Hawx and Richards had for each other was quickly erased as Hawx disrespected Richards with slaps to the face. And the vet Richards would have known of that quickly flying around the ring with kicks and a powerful sidewalk slam. Seemingly trying to make quick work of the younger Hawx, Stevie would slam him repeatedly into the turnbuckle followed by big clotheslines. Setting up for his patented Stevie Kick it seemed done early. But Luke Hawx showed his toughness immediately using his power to shock Richards. Suplexes, slams, near falls followed as the champion battled back from near defeat time and time again. Hawx would go for a move not seen before in ECWA as he climbed onto the middle of the ring ropes and did a springboard moonsault… but NO! Richards blocks with the knees and BOOM.. Stevie Kick for the 1…2… Kick out. Setting up for another kick, shockingly Papadon would run into the ring and try to assault Richards. Even though he fought it off, that distraction was all Hawx needed. As Richards turned to face Hawx, he was hit a diving blockbuster off the top rope to crown a new champion.
10. 15 man Over the Top Rope Battle Royal to determine the last spot in the Super 8 Tournament- winner and number 8 in the Super 8 field…. MATT SAIGON- This was really anyone’s game as all 15 men quickly went after the stronger opponents like Ahtu and Apollyon. Tag teams worked together like Az & Vegas and Team CK but that strategy did not work on this night. Man after man was throw out while the intense Matt Saigon took quite the beating with his visibly badly taped knee. He was so much an afterthought he was thrown through the middle rope onto the floor to deal with later. But that was a dumb move on everyone else’s part. Apollyon and Breaker Morant would clean house to seemingly start a war between friends but as Apollyon started to throw Morant out of the ring Saigon, quietly biding his time, would slip back into the ring and throw both men over the top rope to become the last man in the field of 8 in next month’s Super 8 Tournament!
East Coast Wrestling Association (ECWA) LIVE!
2014 ECWA Super 8 Tournament- Year 18
Sat, April 5, 2014
Greater Newark Boys’ & Girls’ Club
109 Glasgow Drive, Rt. 40 & #1 Positive Place
Newark, DE 19702
Doors Open: 6:00 PM
Bell Time: 7:00 PM
*A portion of the proceeds go to help support the Boys & Girls Clubs of America
All ECWA events are FAMILY FRIENDLY!
TICKETS AVAILABLE IN ADVANCE, VIA PAY PAL, MAIL & AT THE DOOR
-To buy NOW via Pay Pal: http://ecwaprowrestling.com/ecwa/event-info/tickets/
- Mail checks and money orders to:
TWA Pro Wrestling
123 Egg Harbor Road Suite 203
Sewell, NJ 08080
-For info and reserved seating call (609) 220-5598
or e-mail at: email@example.com (Can only guarantee reserves on advance tix sales!)
-Tickets are $20 at the door for adults and in advance and $10 in advance and at door for kids 12 and under
*ALL SALES FINAL! NO REFUNDS ON TIX! IF YOU PURCHASE TIX TO AN EVENT AND CANNOT MAKE THE EVENT, YOU CANNOT TRANSFER THAT TIX TO A FUTURE EVENT! THANK YOU!
Scheduled Card (subject to change)…
The Field of Eight
1. ‘M Dogg 20’ Matt Cross
2. ‘Maple Leaf Machine’ Kao Storm
3. Steven ‘The Fevers’ Walters
4. ‘The Southern Savior’ John Skyler
5. Ricky ‘The Model’ Martinez
6. ‘The King of the Midway’ Oliver Grimsly
7. Gran Akuma
8. ‘Vietnam Phenom’ Matt Saigon
SPECIAL GUEST HOST: 3 time ECWA tag team champion and the 2013 Super 8 Champion:
Who will face who? Find out soon!
The Super 8 almost always has special attraction matches and surprises so please STAY TUNED to see what those might be this year!
Card Subject to Change!
State of Del. Advertising Permit # pending
ECWA WEB PAGE:
ECWA FACE BOOK GROUP PAGE:
Support PWI Magazine at www.pwi-online.com